Friday 29 August 2014

Boat Shoes - Flip-flops for the Gentleman



The thing about flip-flops, open toed sandals (slippers as most in Malaysia call 'em) is that they do not offer very good protection for one's feet with the exception of the sole. Flip-flops also offer almost no support and its soft sole could cause over-pronation or the overuse of tendons in the feet . Anyway, It isn't that I don't use flip-flops. I do use them in the bathroom, toilet and at the beach. I use them for really short distances. But if I am outdoors, in the garden or out to the neighbourhood sundry stores I wear either one of my moccassin loafers or my boat shoes. 


I have mentioned about moc loafers before and how convenient they are to have around and wear. Boat shoes are the same thing. Wikipedia's definition of Boat Shoes are spot on and simple - "Boat shoes (also known as deck shoes or topsiders) are typically canvas or leather with non-marking rubber soles designed for use on a boat. A siping pattern is cut into the soles to provide grip on a wet deck; the leather construction, along with application of oil, is designed to repel water; and the stitching is highly durable. Boat shoes are traditionally worn without socks."

So once broken in, boat shoes are extremely comfortable and easy to slip in and out of. the one on the right of the photos herein are by Marks & Spencer and are fully seasoned from a few years of use. The unused (to date) ones to the left are surprisingly from BATA (yes...the (b)uy (a)nd (t)hrow (a)way brand) but has all the trademarks of a proper boat shoe (full leather, stitched sole etc.). 

With boat shoes you just use them till they drop. Minimal maintenance as the more rugged and worn they look the more 'manly' it gets. Personally I do spruce them up once every six months or so with some shoe cream and polish. No shoe trees though. You want that unique look only a well used or well worn boat shoe can give.

And so yes, these are my flip-flops. And darn comfortable ones too.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I remember they also good for shorts, along with some type of shorts. I wonder if one can be allowed to wear them with a pair of ankle socks, until they are broke in.

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...